Monday, December 3, 2007

DC Meltdown

I had wait til today to write this post because I had hoped that maybe I would wake up this morning and realize last night's BB&T disaster was only a dream. Unfortunately that was not the case and today I have been mulling over how to write this post without rage and numerous expletives. A sad realization to have to deal with after dismantling a much more talented Drexel team a few nights ago. Let's break down this debacle.

Most people try not to look too far ahead in the season, but I am not one of them. I am always looking past opponents like ECU and apparently Mason did the same thing last night. I am always thinking of the strong possibility that we might not win the conference and get the automatic bid to the dance. If that is the case, every game counts. This is so much more emphasized this season as our out of conference schedule is weak. This game right now is considering a "bad loss" as the bracketologist would say. I am not sure what a good loss is but I guess that's why I don't work for ESPN. But it's the kind of thing that can be the difference between the playing in the NIT or the NCAA tournament. Our RPI went from the top 10 to the mid 50s. Mason fans can only hope ECU can pull off some more upsets to get their RPI to a respectable number.

The Patriots started off this game slow, big surprise, and almost seemed like they were not interested. Once again there were struggles from the three point line and the foul line. The shooting woes were a big problem but it was not the only one. I don't think I've ever seen Folarin Campbell and Will Thomas on the bench that long since before the '05-'06 season. Thomas uncharacteristically got into early foul trouble and Campbell struggling shooting and also getting beat on defense. Thomas, who usually averages about 32 minutes a game, played only 24 and Campbell only checked in for 13. Campbell's inconsistency is really starting to become puzzling considering he in his senior year. Louis Birdsong played the most he has all season and ended up with 12 points and 8 rebounds but in no way does he have the ability to take over a game like Thomas can. This was not the same team we saw play Drexel, where was the intensity? Where was the killer instinct?

I know I sound like the sky is falling and although the loss is devastating it's not the end of the world. It is better that this happen now in December rather then in February. Sometimes teams like Mason need to be knocked down a peg. Maybe they were reading too much into the media hype, I am guilty of that myself. We can only hope that this loss can serve as a slap in the face and a wake up call to the Patriots.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hosted Desktops